Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Robert and I just returned from a fantastic trip to the Mediterranean. We loved Greece, with the ancient Acropolis, the Parthenon towering over the city. We marveled at Greek Orthodox churches and loved the friendly people. 

In Cyprus, the ancient mosaics amazed us, along with roaming cats wherever we went. Croatia was beautiful, with the spectacular sea organ (a musical instrument played by the ocean). However, Israel was the country that may stay with me the longest. 

Since I was a tiny tot, I have heard about the Sea of Galilee and the River Jordan. I've listened to Bible stories about Jerusalem and Nazareth. Now those places are real to me. 

This is one of my favorite aspects of travel - when a place on a map becomes a living, breathing place. Israel is now in that category.

And what a feast for the senses it is! Beautiful, white limestone buildings, bearded men in black coats and hats, golden domes. The evocative chant of the Muslim call to prayer while bells peal from Christian cathedrals. The scents of piquant spices and lamb roasting on the spit. Rough, ancient bricks and uneven stones beneath our feet. The tastes of saffron, crunchy falafel, and fish from the Sea of Galilee. 

The next time I'm in church and I hear a Bible story, those sights, sounds, and smells will come back to me.   

An African choir singing on the Mount of Olives


Bethlehem

A forgotten alley in Nazareth

2 comments: