Thursday, July 7, 2016

They’re Back





The turtles like hanging out in the pond too.
Last year I discovered white pelicans in my own back yard. Well, almost. They were actually in a pond on a walking trail close to my back yard.

I don’t know why, but it made me happy to see pelicans in land-locked Colorado. I’ve always loved pelicans and been fascinated with them since studying them in third grade.

I think of pelicans as sea birds, so it surprised me to discover them. Last summer, I loved pausing in a five-mile walk to watch them dive and dip, over and over, with grace and gusto. As birds do, the pelicans left in the fall.

But they’re back. During this week’s walk, there were five of them, diving and dipping with beauty and ease. The cycle continues, and I welcome them to their summer home.  



No comments:

Post a Comment